What are the Top Five things I need to know about this issue?
- Recent studies show health issues with exposure to to RF (radio frequency) cell towers. These are published studies. (see Research and Studies).
- Residents and parents are outraged that a private club in a residential area would consider putting up a 75 foot tower this close to a school – and – all for their ability to get money from AT&T for the lease.
- Other cities and countries have successfully created ordinances and regulations to prohibit cell towers from being near schools, day care centers, senior centers.
- There are alternative locations in the East Meadow Circle industrial park.
- Research continues, but the general “best practice” is when in doubt, vote it out. Or put another way, best to be SAFE not SORRY.
Why is there conflicting information?
Conclusive data on many health risks takes DECADES to be reviewed and published. Often health complaints are not grouped together by doctors, hospitals and health organizations because the individuals live & work and receive medical care in different areas.
Examples of this type of clear connection and delayed reaction are:
- Waste contamination from a disposal area in the small Southern California town of Buttonwillow on Highway 5.
- DDT exposure of agricultural workers and near extinction of several bird species. However, DDT and similar pesticides are still used in India on the cotton plantations. Just because something is allowed does NOT mean it is safe.
- Ship builders became sick and reported breathing issues. Asbestos is hazardous when exposed and not just in the air, but also when consumed.
These examples are familiar to most people, but remember all these compounds were thought to be safe. Often many deaths and lawsuits resulted in the review of the facts and changes in policies… decades later.
What does the FDA say about studies linking radio-frequency exposure?
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA), which has primary responsibility for monitoring the health science of cellular phones, has stated that it cannot rule out the possibility of a health risk from phones.
Are there long-term studies available showing any health risks to children or adults near cell towers?
Absolutely. Researchers in Germany monitored 1,000 inhabitants living close to a cell tower using GSM technology (the same technology used by AT&T). The results show that the proportion of newly developing cancer was significantly higher from among those patients who had lived during the past ten years at a distance of up to 400 meters from the cellular transmission site. After five years of exposure, the relative risk of getting cancer had trebled for the residents of the area in proximity of the installation compared to the inhabitants outside the area. The study, The Influence of Being Physically Near to a Cell Phone Transmission Mast on the Incidence of Cancer, is available as a PDF. There are additional studies that have been published, all by scientists in other countries showing a relationship between health and exposure to RF radiation.